Re-engineering the forest-wood supply chain: Evaluation of current supply chain practices
In This Series
- Assessment of the durability and engineering properties of lesser-known hardwood timber species for use in marine and freshwater construction
- Avoiding landfill through effective wood waste disposal and a shift in product focus
- Bracing for non-domestic timber trussed rafter roofs
- Environmentally responsible construction: Community wood recycling
- Joinery - saving on timber waste disposal and heating cost
A report presenting interim results from a research project to demonstrate how the environmental impact of the storage and distribution of wood products can be minimised through better supply chain management. It examines supply chains in the timber industry, drawing on experience from other industries and national statistics relating to transport and environmental issues. Detailed case studies from 18 companies representing all levels in the timber supply chain are included in Appendix 2.
- Executive summary
- Background and introduction
- Environmental impact and supply chain factors
- Sustainable distribution
- Supply chain vulnerability
- Supply chains in the UK timber industry
- Imported and home-grown sawn timber and wood based panel statistics
- Salient points of the supply chain study
- Interviews with industry professionals in the UK forecast timber supply chain
- Case studies of timber supply chains
- Summary of the attitudes to supply chain issues
- Common issues arising from survey
Timber use for construction in the UK is a report to inform Government about, and to assist industry in the development of timber products for the UK construction sector.
The report examines the current state of the industry paying particular attention to the sawmilling, sheets and board and wooden...
Developed by TRADA, in partnership with wood for good, this publication shows how a wide range of reusable and adaptable wood structures are designed and constructed. It features 19 fully illustrated innovative examples, including the food stall and bus stop at River Cottage, Devon; The Globe at Cern, Switzerland; and...
An overview of the considerations you should take into account when selecting and specifying a timber species for use in the UK. It includes colour photographs of a core selection of 50 timbers which are generally available or are commonly used in the UK, along with information on their suitability...