New growth, new competitiveness. The timber industry: A strategic study for increased competitiveness
In This Series
- Assessment of the durability and engineering properties of lesser-known hardwood timber species for use in marine and freshwater construction
- Avoiding landfill through effective wood waste disposal and a shift in product focus
- Bracing for non-domestic timber trussed rafter roofs
- Cross-laminated timber: an introduction
- Environmentally responsible construction: Community wood recycling
This first report of an industry-wide competitiveness study presents the results of two major market research surveys. End use studies quantify the volumes of timber passing along the "wood chain" from sawmills, importers, merchants, product manufacturers, distributors to end-use markets. The results of a qualitative study into the needs of product manufacturers' can be used to drive process improvements and improve efficiency.
- End-use studies:
- Research aims and methodology
- Panels and boards
- Timber frame manufacturers
- Trussed rafter manufacturers
- Door manufcaturers
- Window manufacturers
- Product manufacturers' needs
- Timber design
- Major factors affecting future efficiency and competitiveness
The document provides a summary of the UK timber industry mass balance for 2002 and brings together the findings of individual mass balance studies undertaken by the five key sectors in the timber industry. These are construction, furniture, joinery, packaging and pulp and paper. Mass balance provides a method for...
This report forms part of the Biffaward Programme on Sustainable Resource Use. In 2002, the UK net timber supply for the construction sector was 12.3 million tonnes and this accounted for four million of the six million tonnes of softwood entering the UK.
- List of figures ...
This document contains a fully comprehensive list of all the most up to date Wood Information Sheets (WIS) published by TRADA. Available to members for free or non-members for £12.00, these Wood Information Sheets provide technical guidance related to almost every timber topic under the sun.
- Timber -...