GD3 Timber materials - Properties and associated design procedures with Eurocodes
In This Series
- Assessment of the durability and engineering properties of lesser-known hardwood timber species for use in marine and freshwater construction
- Avoiding landfill through effective wood waste disposal and a shift in product focus
- Bracing for non-domestic timber trussed rafter roofs
- Cross-laminated timber: an introduction
- Environmentally responsible construction: Community wood recycling
For engineers who want to understand design to Eurocodes, this document explains the principles behind the limit states approach and the basis for the characteristic values used in design. The derivation of the strength and design properties of materials are explained, together with partial factors and the modification factors which are used specifically in timber design. Solid timber, glulam, LVL, structural wood-based panels, structural adhesives, metal fasteners and connectors are all considered.
- Principles of limit state design with Eurocodes
- Design values for material properties - general principles
- Load cases and time dependency
- Basis for characteristic values
- Design properties for glulam and LVL
- Geometrical data
- Stiffness parameters in analysis
- Partial factor for materials properties in design
- Load duration classifications and modifications
- Effect of member size on strength
- Structural wood-based panels
- Structural adhesives
- Metal fasteners and connectors
The Eurocodes are a series of standards that establish common rules across the European Economic Area (EEA) for structural design using main construction materials such as concrete, steel, masonry, timber, aluminium and glass. Together with their National Annexes (NAs), where the national choice on a limited number of Nationally Determined...
This document contains a fully comprehensive list of all the most up to date Wood Information Sheets (WIS) published by TRADA. Available to members for free or non-members for £12.00, these Wood Information Sheets provide technical guidance related to almost every timber topic under the sun.
- Timber -...
Dan Bradley reports on an international research project that hopes to develop an alternative.