Construction Trade Survey February 2019
In This Series
- The final quarter of 2018 was a mixed one for the construction industry.
- Product manufacturers reported rises in sales and workloads increased for SME builders.
- Output was reported lower for main contractors and specialist contractors, whilst workloads declined for civil engineers during the quarter.
- The weakness in contractors’ workloads was broad-based across sectors from private housing to commercial, whilst for civil engineers, the decreases in activity were reported in seven out of ten infrastructure sub-sectors, including local roads and railways.
- Product manufacturers remain optimistic, with expectations of rising sales over the next 12 months.
- Main contractors’ order books for all new build sectors were reported to be lower in Q4, whereas order books for housing R&M were reported to have increased compared to the previous quarter.
- On balance, enquiries increased for 14% of SME builders in Q4, but this was the lowest in two years, whilst new orders declined for 8% of civil engineers, despite major projects in the infrastructure sector.
- Orders rose for specialist contractors, in contrast to a fall in enquiries.
The resistance to sound is not just a legal requirement; designers should take account of the expected transmission of sound between dwellings, between rooms and from outside, and design the walls and floors accordingly.
The Building Regulations require that occupants of a dwelling be 'reasonably protected' from noise...
Although there is an increasing interest and application in using adhesive-bonded connections for new buildings, the main demand for this technology in the UK is for repairs to structural timbers. The original concept was aimed at repairing historic structures. However, the technology is increasingly being used for repairing modern materials...
Adhesives are widely used in non-structural applications such as furniture manufacture and joinery. They are also used in the manufacture of panel products such as plywood, particleboard, fibreboard and oriented strandboard (OSB), of which some grades are used structurally.
Glulam and structural timber composites such as cross laminated...