UK Perspective - July 1993

TRADA image

My responsibility is to provide the DoE with technical policy advice on fire safety, particularly where the Building Regulations are concerned. My patch is only England and Wales and I have counterparts working in Scotland and Northern Ireland on their Building Regulations. However, DoE are also the Government's lead department on the Construction Products Directive (CPD) so I am also sometimes sent out to bat for the UK when fire is on the CPD agenda. For the last 2% years, I have been on the committee drafting the fire Interpretative Document.

Suggested Reading

Acoustic performance in residential timber frame developmentsnavigation-arrow

The resistance to sound is not just a legal requirement; designers should take account of the expected transmission of sound between dwellings, between rooms and from outside, and design the walls and floors accordingly.

The Building Regulations require that occupants of a dwelling be 'reasonably protected' from noise...

10/04/2017 |  Wood Information Sheet  

Adhesive-bonded repair systems for structural timbernavigation-arrow

Although there is an increasing interest and application in using adhesive-bonded connections for new buildings, the main demand for this technology in the UK is for repairs to structural timbers. The original concept was aimed at repairing historic structures. However, the technology is increasingly being used for repairing modern materials...

21/04/2017 |  Wood Information Sheet  

Adhesives for structural usenavigation-arrow

Adhesives are widely used in non-structural applications such as furniture manufacture and joinery. They are also used in the manufacture of panel products such as plywood, particleboard, fibreboard and oriented strandboard (OSB), of which some grades are used structurally.

Glulam and structural timber composites such as cross laminated...

05/08/2019 |  Wood Information Sheet