10 June 2019
Timber Focus Theatre at UKCW 2019
08–10 October 2019
The Timber Focus Theatre, organised by TRADA, returns to UK Construction Week with another impressive panel prepped to inform and enrich your timber knowledge. The three-day seminar programme will comprise a polished medley of key CPD topics, aspirational timber case studies, panel discussions, and demos from steam bending extraordinaire Charlie Whinney – all united to create a cohesive, enjoyable programme with a bit of something for everyone.
Key CPD topics
The programme will kick off every morning with the essentials:
- Post-Brexit: What is happening to the use of EN standards and CE marking?
- Post-Grenfell: What changes have been made to the fire regulations and how are these impacting the design of timber buildings?
The afternoon sessions will counterbalance these practical discussions and delve into concepts a little further afield, including:
- A review of offsite timber solutions – their strengths and weaknesses across a range of scenarios;
- Educational formats that work in construction, including volumetric and the flying factory; and
- The progress of Home-Grown Homes, a Woodknowledge Wales initiative.
TRADA welcomes a mixture of high-profile interviewees to the Timber Focus stage, providing you the opportunity to discuss big ideas with some of the industry greats.
- How do we think timber offsite will develop and which forms will win in the long run?
- If you wouldn’t trust a recipe from someone who had never cooked, why should anyone trust a building designer who has never built? How should we prepare the next generation of building designers?
- How do you procure big timber projects and get it right?
Timber case studies
In addition to our impressive line-up of speakers, we are also excited to share some of our favourite timber buildings – in the form of case study presentations from the engineers or architects behind them. Find out more in the coming months.
Steam bending demos
Steam bending extraordinaire Charlie Whinney will take to the stage with his bespoke steam bending equipment at regular intervals throughout the day – come along and have a go!
22 May 2020
TRADA welcomes Kelly Harrison to TRADA board
22 May 2020
Building with wood in a climate emergency
21 May 2020