24 June 2019
ICE: Call for papers
Timber is a natural renewable material, unique amongst other construction materials in its ability to lock up carbon.
The Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) is calling for papers for a themed issue which will bring together the experience and views of timber experts showcasing innovations of timber as a construction material in a wide range of applications, from high-rise multiple-occupancy buildings to civil engineering, and address critical issues such as timber protection and service life predictions.
The factors that made timber a suitable building material in the past are still applicable today. Furthermore, modern materials such as cross-laminated timber (CLT), glulam and laminated veneer lumber make timber far more versatile than ever before.
CLT is the current darling of the construction industry; it has captured the zeitgeist and is rapidly becoming a mainstream building material. It is making its mark across the world and is seen as the ‘solve all’ innovative engineered wood product of the future. Current consumption in Europe is about 1,000,000m3 per annum and this looks set to increase as manufacturers seek to expand production facilities to satisfy growing demand. However, CLT is made of non-durable softwood. What may be possible in CLT has to be balanced by reducing the risk of decay. Wet happens!
Topics of the special issues include, but are not limited to:
- Innovative design of tall timber buildings using CLT
- Assessing and minimising the risk of decay in tall CLT buildings
- Novel methods for the examination, assessment and monitoring of timber as a tool for developing asset management plans for timber buildings and structures
- Durability of timber and how it can inform service life predictions
- Design innovation and protection of engineered timber products
- Developments of modern construction methods and off-site construction using timber
- Timber for use in civil engineering applications
Abstracts due: 31 October 2019
Submissions due: 31 March 2020
Established in 1836, ICE Publishing is a leading provider of information for researchers and practitioners worldwide in the fields of civil engineering, construction and materials science.
For more information, contact Rebecca Rivers on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)207 665 2241.
27 June 2019
Case Study: Woodland Classrooms, Belvue School
24 June 2019
Timber decking 3rd edition added to Books Online
18 June 2019
A highlight on healthy buildings
10 June 2019