07 December 2021
Fundamentals of timber series continues into 2022
More than 3000 of you signed up for our online learning series in 2021. We are now delighted to announce that several more dates have been added to the Fundamentals of timber programme, bringing the total of “fundamental” sessions to eight!
This extension features fresh topics and delves into durability and preservation; quality of timber; and paints and coatings.
Fundamentals of timber strives to be an accessible, introductory resource perfect for newcomers to the material, those looking to develop a robust understanding of basic timber concepts, as well as students. To facilitate this learning experience, the next three webinars are available to book as a 3-part series.
11 January 2022 ∙ 12:00–13:00 GMT
Durability and preservation with Lewis Taylor, Senior Timber Frame Consultant, BM TRADA
- Natural durability to fungi, insects and marine borers.
- Types of insect and marine borers.
- Natural durability classes and service life.
- Wood preservation – when to and how.
- How the length of desired service life is achieved.
This webinar has now taken place.
26 January 2022 ∙ 12:00–13:00 GMT
Quality of timber with Phil O’Leary, Technical Manager, BM TRADA
- What do we mean by 'Quality of timber'?
- Difference between appearance grade, visual and strength grading.
- Features assessed for grading purposes and how to measure them.
- General principle of grading rules.
- Explanation of commercial grading rules.
- Strength grading and strength classes.
8 February 2022 ∙ 12:00–13:00 GMT
Paints and coatings for timber with Peter Kaczmar, Senior Consultant, BM TRADA
- The need for coatings.
- Weathering of timber.
- Types of coatings: paints, varnishes, stains, floor and deck finishes.
- Common faults and how to avoid them.
TRADA members: Free
Non-members: £90 £60 +VAT for the remaining sessions
Students at member universities: Free
Students at non-member universities: £45 £30 +VAT for the remaining sessions
Not sure if you’re a member? Call 01494 569603 or email Kathryn Macneil, our membership administrator, on email@example.com.
12 January 2022
RSUDC2021 longlisted at ASBP Awards 2022
12 January 2022
Conversations about Climate Change continued
23 December 2021